All future football hopefuls should be at the 700 Year
Anniversary complex on May 1. This is where the Stefan Effenberg Asian
Football Academy (AFA) will, in cooperation with the government’s sports
and education departments, various service clubs (Lions and Rotary), as well
as sport clubs and schools, search for young talent aged 8-17 years old.
International football stars in Chiang Mai for this event will be Gabriel
Batistuda and Mario Basler, provided their schedule will allow.
Stefan Effenberg, the international football star, winner
of the Champions League, multiple German champion and former team captain of
Bayern Munich, will personally come to watch over the search for new talent,
where the top youngsters will later get the chance to learn at the AFA.
Boys wanting to take part must complete an application
form and bring their parents. Each applicant will have a medical check-up
and then carry out a minimum of ten football-related sports tests.
All participants will receive a participation certificate
and the test results will be evaluated in Bangkok and the most talented
applicants will be contacted by mail.
Football tests will include
1. Football dribbling; 3 trials, largest amount of ball
2. 50 meter sprint.
3. Passing - Exact Distance 10m - 15m - 20m. Two trials
with left foot, two trials with right foot. The ball has to be placed as
close as possible to a point.
4. Slalom with football. Dribbling with football around
11 obstacles, timed.
5. Long-distance pass. Two trials. The longest distance
6. Five goal shots on a goal with obstacles in it. How
many goals scored in the time period.
7. Free kick over obstacles towards goal. How many goals
8. Three interval sprints over 20 meters. Counting of
9. Six penalties. How many goals scored.
10. Three headers towards the goal. How many goals
Talent scouts will be looking at sprinting power,
sprinting endurance, bounce and throwing power. A good throw-in is almost as
good as a corner cross!
Effenberg’s academy offers spaces for 250 first-rate
talents. Fifty successful applicants whose parents can prove they are unable
to afford the tuition for this international apprenticeship will receive
For more information, please call or email the Chiangmai Mail office
(Marion 053 234 102, [email protected]). We will forward your
requests to those who can assist.