HEADLINES [click on headline to view story]:

Chiang Mai Sixes bowls more supporters with friendship, and sporting fun

Chiang Mai Pool league

Chiang Mai HHH Corner - “On On!”

Farangutans fail to make pressure pay

Chiangmai SportRoundup

Chiang Mai Sixes bowls more supporters with friendship, and sporting fun

Geoff Thompson
Photos: Michael Vogt

This year’s Chiang Mai International Cricket Sixes tournament kicked off in usual party style last Saturday evening at the Pornping Tower Hotel. A free flow of drinks, eats and good friendship were provided at the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) sponsored ‘Welcome Cocktail Party’.

With most of the 300 participating cricketers, plus many sponsors and friends in attendance, TAT’s Region 1 (Chiang Mai) Director, Junnapong Saranak, proclaimed the 18th Sixes “well and truly open”. Among those attending the party and looking forward to a week meeting old friends and new, was honoured guest Myles de Vries, the acknowledged ‘inventor’ of international Six-a-Side cricket tournaments, and one of those responsible for starting the Chiang Mai Sixes back in 1988. Confined to a wheelchair these days and resident in Hua Hin, it has been many years since Myles was last able to get up to Chiang Mai for the Sixes.

The well protected Umpires.

With opening formalities already completed, cricket was the total business of the first day on Sunday and each of the six round-robin groups in Round 1 of the tournament saw action. This is the first year that the Sixes had been expanded to a full day’s play on Sunday. Pre-event publicity, the weekend start and the pleasant weather appeared to have combined to bring out a record opening day crowd at the Gymkhana Club ground. They were joined for the first time by a worldwide audience now able to tune in to Sixes’ match commentaries broadcast “live” via the event website ( The early matches saw some old favourites staking claims for this year’s trophy honours.

The press booth; for the first time in the games history, commentaries and results are uploaded live, and available in real time on the internet.

In the main competition, Round 1 decides which teams go forward to compete for the Cup, Shield, Bowl or Plate. The Perth Postals, celebrating their 10th anniversary trip to Chiang Mai Sixes, notched up three wins out of three in the first two days. Their match against the local Mujibas (which the Postals won) provided the first “Big 10” hit of the tournament when Mujibas’ David Hird hit the Champion sign to score a boundary ten runs and earn a donation towards junior cricket development from the sign sponsors. Also from Australia and like the Postals, a former Cup winner, the Lords Taverners also began their campaign in winning style.

The afternoon heat can not keep the Cricketers away from the games.

Countering the Aussie threat on behalf of English cricket are the defending ‘Sixes’ Cup champion YesNoWaitSorries who began strongly, scoring 70 for the loss of 1 wicket, and then blowing away the local Irish Pub Gang Green (newly promoted from the Spoon Division this year), who were all out for just 32. The Sorries’ stable mates, and also former champs, Gloucestershire Gypsies were almost equally convincing winners in their first matches.

In the social cricketer’s Spoon competition, first up were the local Gymkhana Cavaliers Vs last year’s losing finalists Halylt of England. Halylt posted a handy 63 for 0 score. Local eyes were on the Cavs’ team which this year for the first time includes several young Thai graduates of the local Sawasdee Cricket program for junior schools. The Halylt score looked to be too much for the slow starting Cavs, but the Gymkhana openers edged ever closer to a winning score thanks to sound striking of the ball by Sawasdee graduate ‘Orf” and the Cavs captain Eric Little. With 3 runs needed off the last ball ‘Orf’ managed a 2 and the match ended as a tie with Gymkhana also on 63 for 0.

In other early Spoon action, Halylt continued to look like strong trophy contenders, while the Chiang Mai Sixes 18 year veteran Wombats also appeared up to the challenge, racking up the highest score of the first day (89 for 0).

As we went to press Round 1 matches were scheduled to continue through until Wednesday, with Quarter Finals and Semi Finals on Thursday and Friday and Finals on Saturday April 2nd . Play on Saturday is scheduled to start at 9 a.m. and a big finals day crowd is expected to watch (and listen) to an exciting day’s play that includes an exhibition junior hardball cricket game and a Ladies Challenge match in the morning, before the finals take place for all five of this year’s Sixes’ trophies in the afternoon.

Chiang Mai Pool league

Chiang Mai HHH Corner - “On On!”

CH3, the oldest hash club (males) in Chiang Mai runs on Mondays every 2 weeks. If you need a lift from the Hash House Pub on Moon Muang Road (corner of Soi 2) at 4 pm please Call 09 99 358 27 before 3 pm.

CUM H3 is a male run. Pick-up every Tuesday at 4 pm from Fish ‘n Chip Shop, Ratchawitti Road (opposite Irish Pub). A fun run for males. No committee.

CSH3 is a mixed hash. Runs every Saturday. Pick up from Hash House Pub on Moon Muang Road (corner of Soi 2) at 3.30 pm.

Chiang Mai’s Happy H3 is a new club with a mixture of traditional values and progressive thinking. Very democratic, good runs and “on on’s” guaranteed. On on on at Clubroom. Pick-up from Fish ‘n Chip Shop, Ratchawitti Road, 4 p.m. every Saturday.

BH3 female hash (Harriettes) runs once a month on the last Sunday of the month. Pickup from Hash House Pub on the corner of Soi 2 at Moon Muang Rd. is at 3.30 p.m. during the winter and 4 p.m. during the summer.

For more information visit:’s great fun and you surely get value for your money plus you get to meet all the long-time expats here!

Farangutans fail to make pressure pay

Game three in the Chiang Mai Seniors League, and the Farangutans were all present for their “sedate” encounter with San Patong. It is true that the game was set for an 11 a.m. kick-off, the trouble was that the pitch was fifteen kilometers out of town on the Mae Jo Road, much to the chagrin of Warren and Ross who carried the kit there on an aging motorbike kindly donated by the UN Irish Pub. The temperature was a balmy thirty-six degrees. Temperatures were raised further when the pair was questioned as to whether they had also brought water! As is customary, the Farangutans were punctual and kick-off was delayed for forty-five minutes.

The boys started well having the better of possession in the early stages and could well have been a goal up in five minutes had it not been for some poor finishing. With ten minutes gone the opposition had their first real chance on goal snubbed out by a resolute defense. This foray was followed by a brief conversation between Ross and Masao on the finer points of defending. The situation thus resolved, the team continued to put pressure on the San Patong goal. Shawn and Rick dominated midfield with a combination of sharp passing and hard tackling. Adam on the left continued where he left off last week, constantly finding space and driving at the defense. The problem was they couldn’t find the back of the net!

The Farangutans were made to pay on twenty-five minutes. Against the run of play San Patong found themselves in space on the right, a skillful mazy run resulted in a clinical cross into the danger area. In the pinball lottery of tackles the Patong striker found himself with time to stroke the ball past a blameless Markie Flowers in goal. So it was that the Western Warriors found themselves with the task of having to dig out a result from one nil down. The boys continued to press with some fine play down the flanks by Ross and Tim resulting in a couple of clear cut chances going astray. Ten minutes later, despite their continuing dominance, their problems were compounded by an uncharacteristic defensive error. 2-0 to San Patong at half time.

Changes were made at the interval in an effort to turn things around in the second half. Masao up front and Adam falling back to left midfield. Indeed, the second half started brightly with the midfield continuing to dominate and push forward. On sixty minutes the boys were rewarded with a goal from Adam. After a fine run and pass into the box from Rick, the Grimsby goal-grabber coolly slotted for his third of the season. At this point the opposition seemed to become unnerved and began to resemble the team from the previous week. Tackles became accompanied with raised elbows, and after a series of robust encounters Rick found himself booked for no apparent reason. Soon after, Shawn was sent A over T in his own penalty area by a scything lunge from Goldfinger’s very own Odd Job but with a slightly thicker neck. This assault resulted in the need for retribution and Warren found himself in the book yet again.

With time running out the boys valiantly battled to get the draw they more than deserved. On a pitch that resembled the beachhead at Omaha, wave after wave of sustained pressure was repelled. However, unlike that fateful summer day in 1944, our boys failed to make the breakthrough. Final score 2-1 to San Patong.

This week sees our gallant heroes take on the might of the German All-Stars and her allies in South East Asia.