99 Buddhist monks from every temple in Chiang Mai City and
area temples participate in the Maha Santing Luang ceremony.
The Royal Ratchapruek Park celebrated its new Royally
designated name, the Luang (Royal) Ratchapruek Park with a grand opening
ceremony and the Maha Santing Luang ceremony on April 12.
The Maha Santing Luang, or Uppata Santi, was composed by
the revered monk Maha Mangala Silawamsa, during the reign of King Tilokaraj
(1442-1489). The ceremony is reputed to bring calm and harmony and grace the
King with glory.
His Serene Highness Prince Bhisatej Rajani, the chairman
of Royal Project Foundation lit candles and incense sticks at the Maha
Santing Luang ceremony, at the Royal gilded house, on April 12 at 6 .p.m.
The ceremony was presided over by His Serene Highness
Prince Bhisatej Rajani, the chairman of Royal Project Foundation and marked
by the presentation of charitable works to His Majesty the King. HM the King
assigned the new name to the park on January 23, 2010 according to the
Office of His Majesty‘s Principal Private Secretary.
The Research and Highlands Development Institute
organized the traditional ceremony to officially rename the park, which was
previously called the Royal Flora Ratchapruek 2006.
Attending the ceremony were Chiang Mai Governor Amornphan
Nimanant, Dr. Chao Duangduen na Chiengmai, the President of Chiang Mai
Cultural Council, Prof Dr Pongsak Angkhasit, the President of Chiang Mai
University, Dr. MR Rujaya Arphakorn, Chalermsak Suranant, Director of TAT,
Chiang Mai, Prof Dr. Pongsiri Pradhanadee, and other guests of honor from
The Maha Santing Luang ceremony was held in the ancient
Lanna style, at the Royal gilded house, on April 12 at 8. 00 p.m. 99
Buddhist monks from every temple in Chiang Mai city and from area temples
attended the ceremony.
Suthat Pluempanya, the Director of the Research
Highland Development Institute, presided over the traditional
the Luang (Royal) Ratchapruek Park.
from left, front row, Amornphan Nimanant, Chiang Mai
Governor sits with His Serene Highness Prince Bhisatej Rajani, the Chairman
of Royal Project Foundation, and Dr Chao Duangduen na Chiengmai, the
President of Chiang Mai Cultural Council at the Buddhist ceremony to honor
the new name of the Park.
Joy’s House Guest House is unique in that not only does
it provide accommodation in a serene and friendly atmosphere just outside
the city but the guesthouse’s owner, Joy Worrawittayakhun joined together
with Ulrike Meister from Germany to establish the Children’s Shelter
Foundation in Doi Saket. The Foundation provides a safe and comfortable home
for kids in need; handicapped, deaf, street children, and orphans. There is
a small farm, farm house, school and running guest house on the site. Aimed
at achieving self sufficiency with tourism and products from their organic
farm and orchards, they offer non-traditional schooling for area children as
Local villagers and staff at Joy’s House join in bathing
the Buddha image in a traditional Songkran celebration.
On April 19 Joy’s House held the Rod Nam Dam Hua, the
ceremony traditionally held on Songkran, to bless the Buddha images, wash
the hands of the elderly in a sign of respect. The ceremony is more than
just washing away bad luck, but offers children the opportunity to show
respect to their elders and for the elderly to join in Lanna traditions with
youth. More than 30 elderly people from nearby villages were invited to join
the children in the special ceremony, tying the children to their community
and their culture. Staff and villagers performed traditional Lanna dances
for the children in this Songkran celebration.
Staff and local villagers join in traditional Lanna dances
to entertain the children and visitors to the Children’s Foundation and
Joy’s Guest House.
The children of the Children’s Shelter Foundation join
staff on this celebratory day.