Make Chiangmai Mail | your Homepage | Bookmark

Chiangmai 's First English Language Newspaper

Pattaya Blatt | Pattaya Mail | Pattaya Mail TV




Update March 18, 2015

How to get married in Thailand
Hi Emma can u help out with this problem, been in a relationship with a Thai lady 4 8 years & hope 2 marry in November in Pattaya or Bangkok is it possible 2 marry in other than a Temple or church :e g ,a registry office or embassy? Also can you tell me what documents are needed 4 proof at the ceremony? I will be grateful if you can help me out Emma as other sources have not responded 2 my request. Thanking you most sincerely.
Tommy from the Toon [UK]

Emma responds:
Dear Tommy, my apologies as your email ended up in my junk mail box and I only just found it. Getting married in Thailand is only legal in the District Office. Temple weddings carry no legal weight.
First you must go to your Embassy and sign an affirmation of freedom to marry; if you are divorced you will need your divorce certificate. Then you must get this document translated into Thai – the Embassy can recommend a translator for you, then once it is translated you must take it to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to get it certified. Once it is certified you can go to any District Office in Thailand and get married.

I believe the British Embassy requires an appointment for these kinds of services now so it is best if you go to the website and check.
Congratulations on your impending nuptials and best of luck to you.